Monday, May 31, 2010

Two years

Yesterday my husband and I celebrated our two year wedding anniversary (and eleven years together).  We marked the day by splurging on some peanut oil and finally pulling out the wok we received as a wedding present...two years ago.

Since we received it, the wok has lived in its original box at the top of our hall closet, waiting.  We had wanted it badly but we were afraid of it.  Yes, afraid of it.  It lurked on the edge of our awareness, finding it when we opened the closet door to grab laundry detergent.  We would pause to contemplate its existence, thinking "soon" and continuing on.  We almost used it once before.  But for some reason, now we were ready.  [If I were to make some loose correlations, I would say that our experience with the wok is very much like our hemming and hawing around buying a house and having babies.  Meaning, we are ready.  But that is another post.]

The directions dictated that we season the wok, which ended up with my husband yielding hot mitts and paper towels, and a smoky apartment.  Very romantic stuff.  The wok required a waltz of planning and fast-paced multi-staged cooking.  Fortunately, we cook and bake well together.  I do all the preparation, buzzing around, cleaning up, anticipating the next steps; he is precise, patient and thoughtful.  When we work together, we are successful and accomplish things that daunt us.

We spent this long weekend talking and planning as usual.  Right now we are indecisive, gathering the pieces and asking all the questions and doing all the research.  We argue, we discuss, we negotiate, we dream and then we freak out.  And then suddenly, we collectively decide and move forward.  We work very well together.

Happy anniversary...I can't wait to see what comes next. 

1 comment:

  1. My hubbie and I are about ready to celebrate our third wedding anniversary and 9 years together also!
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails