Saturday, April 2, 2011
ABAW:12
I knew I would like this book when the character spent the first chapter talking about her school schedule: If I were to make up a torture for someone, it would be you have to have gym right in the middle of your day. Your body is not in the mood for gym in the middle of the day. A quintessential thirteen year old, she speaks matter of factly, with quirky observations about her life. I am smitten with her, I know I would enjoy just watching her talk, and that my eyes would twinkle when she was around.
I love the way the character speaks so much that I used her words for the first class in 21 Secrets, an online art journaling 'playground'. Our task was to identify three word statements: little paper boats, all my life, a raggedy silence. Next step is to make art with those phrases...
It all reminds me of being twelve, thirteen and playing with words, phrases, writing songs and poems. My best friend and I would craft funky choruses and soulful bridges to terribly corny songs about love. Love. We had no idea. We were just learning and trying to figure it out, make sense of it all.
Labels:
ABAW
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are awesome.