I consider myself a drive by photographer. I love taking photos with my teeny tiny camera while I'm driving. Yep, driving. Don't tell my husband (aka Knedz Attention), he would freak out.
I typically take pictures of anything reflective (especially me reflected in the side mirror), the sky, and lots and lots of signs. Oh I love signs. One I totally wish I captured this morning: Caution Cracks Being Filled.
A fellow bootcamper invited me on a picture taking mission, but our adventure was thwarted by rain. I pouted about it all the way home, until I realized, duh rain is awesome. (But I also reserve the right to do more of this picture taking.)
I've spent the day thinking about the concept of heavy metal, instantly thinking that I wanted to borrow the color palette of black and silver. I felt the subject matter didn't need to be related. I kept thinking about mercury, like in the old school thermometers, and wanted it dripping down. I was inspired by the photo above and wanted to make droplets, beading, thick pooling of liquid.I started to do this and was not happy with the results. I was, however, thrilled with the image emerging out of negative space. It has a very rich effect in person. New technique learned: Prep a page in black acrylic and draw in silver sharpie, see what emerges.
For me, it started as a door opening and then became loosely my husband (he has a lovely profile that I didn't do justice to). The truth is, he is my inspiration. He is my sounding board, he is my never ending source of support. Just don't tell him I take pictures while I'm driving. Its his fault, he gave me the little camera just for stuff like this.

Oh, THAT is cool! I love it when you start out to create something specific, and end up with another thing entirely!
ReplyDelete(Plus, your dialogue cracked me up :) In particular, 'Duh, rain is awesome.')
I love the colors, I'm always drawn to the emotions in black and grey, does that sound weird? Anyway, this was really inspiring, especially finding someone else who snaps while driving ;)
ReplyDeleteI love the picture.
ReplyDeleteMy husband was my inspiration for Heavy Metal as well.
Love this and all the other bootcamp entries. I'm really enjoying finding so many other mixed media/ art blogs out there through the class.
ReplyDeleterinda