Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ABAW:8

I recently picked up this book from our local Borders which was sadly going out of business.  Books were ridiculously cheap, maybe 80 cents for this one.  Heartbreaking and scavenging-inducing.  I felt compelled to rescue them from uncertain fate.  And so I left the store with another pile of books.  Sigh. 

I know I joke about my book addiction.  But the serious truth is that addiction is part of my history, my family, and now my work.  I feel resentful because I was never taught about addictions in graduate school:  things I know are unfortunately things I know.  I've learned theories about family systems, trauma, development, but there is something about the lived experience.  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

Beyond that there is a ton of new information, research, changes in drugs, a new movement in the world of addictions, addiction vs pain management, inclusion of eating, shopping, sex.  I want to learn more.  I'm not sure where to start. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails