Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A book a week

I needed to throw in something fun while I'm still working through all these great December prompts.  I love being able to use some of my photos from 2010, and think about this past year.  Bear with me.

Okay, so here is my idea.  One goal I have for myself is to read a book a week.  And maybe post about it, just to keep me honest.  Here is my worry:  many years ago, I ended up taking this stupid class because I needed one more elective in college to graduate.  That class was a dumb one called Writing Reviews.  I wanted to take the one about Writing Grants, which would have been so much more helpful.

Our class was taught by this woman who spoke excitedly about the art of writing a good review, although never told us how to write them.  We were supposed to read reviews and write papers on what made them good, and then go around and write reviews on things.  I am not so good at the slick, peppy writing and so would belabor these assignments, and then get no feedback.  I mistook her grading system as 3s being good:  but learned on the last class that they were not so much.  Yep, I'm an idiot.  But most notable, all of her body parts always seemed in constant motion, and she would wiggle more when one of her pet students enticed her to speak about her glory days as a review writer, or some such nonsense.  So I am not writing any reviews here or ever again.  I hate talking about them, or reading them, and critique them mercilessly.  Eh, not really but I harbor some resentment.

Book of the week:  Saving Fish From Drowning, Amy Tan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails