Sunday, January 9, 2011

December 22 - Travel


December 22 – Travel 
How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year? 

The volcano in Iceland and a British Airways strike thwarted our plans to visit London (and I have a really cute journal that I was going to use too, darn it) so we went to New York to meet up with friends and family, and to Maine, where we stormed drove by and giggled at the Bush compound in Kennebunkport.  I flew home to see my mom, and we visited a lot of family.  Cape Cod.  Many local adventures to parks we never knew existed.  It seemed we lost a lot of time to our fruitless house search.  Highlight:  our trip to Sacramento, the art therapy conference, seeing my brother and visiting Lake Taco, er, Tahoe.  Beautiful, and will definitely go back.

This year:  the blue blue blue of Key West, a relaxing long weekend in Maine.  Visiting family often.  Road trips to New Hampshire, Vermont, Western Massachusetts, the Harbor Islands, maybe even Canada.  Adventures, photos, freedom.  I can't wait.

Included in this prompt is one tool to help plan the year ahead:
New Years Goal Questions for No Goals Creatives

I love this line from the above link:
“My what?” I said. “My goals? My career? I didn’t know I had a career.”  
Amen.  I still don't consider what I'm doing as a career, which is tough to realize because I meant it to be one, and I still retain hopefulness that it could be part of one.  But I am not sure how.  And so I love this prompt:
1. Begin with vision: How do you imagine your best self acting and being in 2011? What is calling you to act well in the world in 2011? What images do you see and hear? How does your best self feel? Take walks with these questions. Move in them. Run with them. Practice yoga with them.
2. Yearn to learn: What does your best self hunger to learn this year to respond to that calling? What does your best self aspire to do well? Exceptionally well? What does your best self yearn to create and build this year?
3. Perform with authenticity: C’mon. We can put measurements on some things we want to accomplish. It can be helpful to define in measurable terms some indicators that you are acting on behalf of your best self. What are they? A certain number of pages of a book written? A number of exhibits of your work? A number of new client work? Greater exposure for your work? A national presence within your field?
While I'm reading these, I can feel myself answering from a different part of myself.  Like something sleeping within wakes up, curls open and blinks, realizing that these queries are directed to it.  I have this confusing feeling:  one part of me wants to sit with and move with the questions, but another part of me wants to quick capture them like I'm shouting "don't move!" while I grab my camera, but that feels so inauthentic.  So I'm going to take the author's advice, and I'll report back.  


Join Here:  Reflect on this year & manifest what's next

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails